A chemical peel is an effective solution for rejuvenating facial skin and attaining a youthful look. It is an easy in-office procedure that will show its effects in less than two weeks. As with any other cosmetic procedure, it is important to understand what to expect during the procedure and to be prepared for aftercare.
What Exactly Is a Chemical Peel?
This treatment involves applying a chemical to the surface of the face. The chemical helps loosen the upper layer of skin, causing it to start peeling off about three days after the procedure. Removing these layers of dead skin helps to alleviate various skin conditions including fine lines, hyperpigmentation, acne, and wrinkles.
Your doctor will examine your skin and determine which peel would be right for your skin. Peels come in various formulas. Some peels are very mild and only remove a minimal amount of dead skin cells. However, some peels are stronger and work at deeper levels of the skin.
What Will Happen After the Peel
Patients often think that they will start to see the skin sloughing off right after they receive the peel. Depending on the depth of the peel, your skin may take some time to rejuvenate and peel off.
Aftercare is extremely important to ensure the best results. Your doctor will give you a full list of instructions before you go home. The list will include some of the following:
- Use a very gentle soap when cleaning the face. This will allow the skin to heal without irritation.
- Use a hydrating serum or gel. The doctor may recommend specific brands. Follow the directions carefully.
- Hydrate the skin with aftercare solutions such as marine algae or colloidal silver.
- Consider following up with stem cell or light therapy to give the new skin a fresh start.
- Avoid exposure to the sun. The fragile skin can sustain UV damage.
- Use a broad-spectrum SPF to protect the skin from UV damage. You should use this on the treated area for at least two months.
- Avoid hot showers or washing the face with hot water. Exposure to too much heat can cause complications like hyperpigmentation.
It will take a full two weeks for most of the peel’s effects to subside and for the skin to stabilize. If you are ready to learn more about how a chemical peel can help your skin, give us a call at Utopia Wellness MediSpa today to set up your consultation! We are located in Owensboro, KY.